Mists of morning...

For a time I lived by water, swayed by its moods, conversing with its murmurings, lulled to sleep by its waves. My conscious and unconscious evolution was a reason to land there and linger for some years before circumstance effected change. Though rustic and primitive, my cabin and its windows on the water had much to teach; I took each lesson to heart and the result was transformation.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hummers

Persistent. Observant.

As renovation work begins
my feeders are being moved
from place to place around my yard ...
in the front garden,
to the backyard by the clotheslines,
to the back fence,
then hanging again from a strong branch
away from the roofline.

Within minutes of each move,
resilient hummingbirds swoop in,
head-buzzing humans to lay claim
the sweetness of sugar water.

Listen for the rustle of fluttering wings
before you step out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment