Mists of morning...

For a time I lived by water, swayed by its moods, conversing with its murmurings, lulled to sleep by its waves. My conscious and unconscious evolution was a reason to land there and linger for some years before circumstance effected change. Though rustic and primitive, my cabin and its windows on the water had much to teach; I took each lesson to heart and the result was transformation.

Friday, March 29, 2013

Obsolete and loving it!


I often find myself out of step, on the verge of if not actually obsolete. I don't want to be forever "available," fighting each day to maintain that list of "must call" and "must post."

If you call and I am not home, call back. I don't spend hours on my telephone and don't own a cell phone. I am not sitting around waiting for the phone to ring and I manage to live just fine. And with a lot less stress...

I still use a VCR. I have a DVD player, but really, how many times do you need to buy the same movies? (And I have a back-up VCR in my closet!) My TV is a 13" model that is 16 years old. I think. It works fine.

I still cook at home. This city is overflowing with fast food, and houses very few original eateries (almost none with any kind of ambiance ... and no one seems to know what a tablecloth and silverware are). I can eat much healthier at home. Which I do 98% of the time.

I have five bookcases in my three bedroom apartment. Working on a sixth. And a wide windowsill of books. And a table with a shelf of books. And that's just the books I am keeping (all hardcover). If I had every book I've ever read I would need a ten-room house ....

I have a cassette player. With several hundred custom made cassettes filled with my favorite music. I need it and use it every day. Of course I have CDs, but they are far far fewer than that customized music.

I use a computer, and get all my news there. I can pick and choose -- CNN, CBS, PBS, BBC -- without commercials, and I can turn it off. Mostly I watch TV on it since I won't spend the money on Cable until they allow me to pay only for the channels I want to watch (and that won't happen any time soon). If I have to pay for 80 channels and only watch 4, I really don't see the point! Back to my computer, where those 4 are free. Oh, and I write on that PC -- a lot.

I got a Twitter account four years ago and haven't touched it since.

My sewing machine is at least 45 years old. Survived our house fire and works just fine. I make clothes and design costumes on it. And I still prefer hand-finishing, which takes longer but is so satisfying.

I have a coffeemaker (4 cup) that I never use. I am thinking about buying a percolater. There is something soothing about its rituals.

By business card reads "By Appointment or Chance."

I am comfortable with silence. And my days are peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment