Mists of morning...

For a time I lived by water, swayed by its moods, conversing with its murmurings, lulled to sleep by its waves. My conscious and unconscious evolution was a reason to land there and linger for some years before circumstance effected change. Though rustic and primitive, my cabin and its windows on the water had much to teach; I took each lesson to heart and the result was transformation.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Waiting ... with love!


A few months ago, my younger granddaughter, 22, (at right) sat across from me in the living room and told me that she was "expecting." It was the quintessential "wow" moment. Days later her words were still sinking in.

Words of change that roll through one's life in cycles, in circles. I remembered quickly I learned was pregnant so many, it seems, years ago. I was gifted with an amazing daughter. I was also trusted with the gift of nurturing her and helping her become the woman she is. From the hand-holding to the letting go, the circle continued.

When my daughter had her three children, I stepped into the grandmother role with far more ease than I expected. I stepped back and allowed her to develop her own mothering. I lost my own mother in all of this transition, becoming the matriarch (that sounds so formal) of our family. In goddess lore, I am the crone, the wise woman, the healer, the deliverer of solace and profound peace.

When my beautiful Rochelle sat down to talk with me, I was honored to view the newest mother in the cycle (maiden, mother, crone). I visioned my daughter now stepping back, taking that grandmotherly role, with all its magic. While the new 'mom" tackles all the minutia of child-rearing and homemaking, the new "grandmom" gets to play, to teach, to love in ways that parents might not always have time for. As a grandmom, my daughter moves further along the cycle.

With great-grandmotherhood pending, I move further into the crone, ready to love more -- love grows exponentially with each child born -- I will also step back a bit and let the new parents love and learn, let the new grandmom learn that amazing realm of second-generation nurturing, and carve my own niche within the cycles and circles that are expanding yet again. It's exciting, because while I move a tad slower, I have knowledge and skills accumulated over time. I am the keeper of family history, the mender of family heirlooms, the teller of stories, the maker of little costumes, the ear that listens to the secrets and worries and joys of all who are coming up after me.

It will be a joy to have a new, tiny little hand in mine, fingers curling around my thumb, listening to all those gurgling sounds (probably baby gas but adorable nonetheless.

My Rochelle is going to make a wonderful mom; she holds the joy of life in her hands. She is smart, funny, beautiful, and talented and can be anything she wants to (including a mom) - and best of all, she, working with this man she loves, can give those gifts to her child and other children that may follow.

I am gifted by her and through her, and am pleased that I am a young enough great-grandmother that I can enjoy all of this for some time to come.

Can't wait to see this new little baby (due: October-ish).

Love you, Rochelle.

















No comments:

Post a Comment